« Home | 10 Years in the WorkForce » | Microsoft Surface » | Movie Review: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver S... » | A Costco Surf and Turf » | Movie Reviews - Ocean's Thirteen » | DVD Reviews - The Fountain » | DVD Reviews - A Good Year » | DVD Reviews - Primeval » | DVD Reviews - Pan's Labyrinth » | Time to Depart WOW »

Beef Sukiyaki



I love buying this dish from the local Japanese Sushi shop in downtown Minneapolis. The beef is always so so so tender and its slightly sweet, so good with the sticky rice.

I used this recipe on Food Network with some modifications. I skipped the greens and noodles, I really only wanted the beef over rice. I also didn't use any sugar, instead I used more mirin sauce and let it reduce. For the rice, I find that a 50/50 mix of glutinous rice and jasmine rice works best. It retains the sticky-ness while absorbing all that delicious gravy.

The biggest problem with this recipe is slicing the beef. It has to be paper thin to retain that tenderness. I did my best and it turned out ok but getting the beef paper thin would make a whole world of difference.

Blogs I Frequent