« Home | DVD Reviews - A Good Year » | DVD Reviews - Primeval » | DVD Reviews - Pan's Labyrinth » | Time to Depart WOW » | Blast from the Past - Speak and Spell » | Fun Facts: Sushi » | Podcasts » | Colcannon » | DVD Review: The History Boys » | TV shows Online - plus a rant »

DVD Reviews - The Fountain

Three stories - one each from the past, present, and future - about men in pursuit of eternal life. A conquistador in Mayan country searches for the tree of life to free his captive queen; a medical researcher, working with tree sap, looks for a cure that will save his dying wife; a space traveler, traveling with an aged tree within a bubble, moves toward a dying star that's wrapped in a nebula; he's seeks enlightenment. The stories intersect; the quests fail and succeed.

If you're unsure about renting this movie, I don't blame you. Reviews for it were either super amazing or simply terrible. The reason for this is the director Darren Aronofsky. If the name is unfamiliar to you, don't worry he's not 'that' famous. But he did direct a film called PI. The less said about that movie the better, at least in my opinion. Simply put, he's an arty kind of director. One of those non-mainstream people who makes critically acclaimed movies that us mere mortals sometimes just don't get.

The Fountain is actually a beautiful tale. I'll admit that I like the 2 main actors Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz which is why I like the movie. But in all fairness, the 3 storylines are told at the same time and weave themselves into each other. This is the arty part. It challenges the viewer to stretch their imaginations and take in the movie and to think, you can't take what you see at face value, hence the difference in opinions about the show.

Personally, I liked the movie but its not one which I would place in my DVD collection. And I'll be honest and say that my liking the 2 main actors, significantly increased my enjoyment of the movie.

I give this one a 3/5.

Labels:

Blogs I Frequent