« Home | Into the 21 Century » | RIP : Boo » | Summer Vacation 5 - 2010 » | Summer Vacation 4 - 2010 » | Summer Vacation 3 - 2010 » | Summer Vacation 2 - 2010 » | Summer Vacation 2010 » | Cooking for the Weekend » | NYC 2010 - Day 2 » | NYC 2010 - Day 1 »

4th July Weekend

Well the family left about 2 weeks ago but this is my first weekend back home alone. Takes some getting used to, it was really nice to have a full house of people.

And since its a long weekend I decided to cook, something I've not done since Chinese New Year.
I started off with watermelon juice. In Singapore its super easy to get this, just pop by any food court and there's almost always watermelon juice. But in the midwest, I had to cut the watermelon up and put it in a juicer. Not difficult but slightly messy. Still the result is wonderful refreshing watermelon juice. (FYI, that Pitcher holds 1/2 a large watermelon.


Had a craving for chips and dips. So I cooked up onions, ground beef, mushrooms, olives, and mixed up some chilli. It goes really well with chips.


For breakfast/brunch, nothing beats sunny side up eggs, some toast and tater tots. Oh and watermelon juice as well, so refreshing for brunch.


But the main course for this weekend was vegetable beef soup. Just cut up some beef into small cubes, cook it for about 2 hours to get it tender, then add your favorite vegetables. In my case, corn, celery, tomatoes, zucchini, potatoes, and carrots. Boil then simmer for about 1 hour and salt to taste. Simple, hearty and very good beef vegetable soup. As you can see I made more then enough for 3 days.

Blogs I Frequent