« Home | Feeling High » | Movie Review: The Mummy :Tomb of the Dragon Empero... » | Movie Review: Mamma Mia » | Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog » | Game Review; Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard » | 3 Movie Reviews » | Weekend Cooking » | Happy 4th of July » | My Weekend » | WoW - Midsummer Fire Festival »

A Random Rant/Musing

I'm a traveling consultant, at least for the past 3 months. This means I fly every single week to a client site. The benefits of this is that I accumulate both airline and hotel points which can be used towards free upgrades or free hotels stays/flights. Also, I'm single without any ties.

I know that many in my situation would be flying from one city to another every weekend or every other weekend, exploring the US. Vegas, New York, Texas, Seattle, New Orleans, etc. After all airfare is amost entirely paid for by the company with me paying the difference between a flight back home to Minneapolis and whichever destination I choose.

But the reality is that if you're a homebody/nerd/introvert (take your pick) like I am, this really does not impress. Its always more fun visiting new places with friends or family. Seriously, who wants to fly to New York, walk into an awesome restaruant with a 6 month waiting list all alone? Or any restaurant for that matter. As a foodie I would love to visit different restaurants but while I might dine out alone occassionally, my skin isn't quite thick enough to endure the punishment on a regular basis.

Next is home. Unlike many people I know, I love staying at home. I don't feel a need to go out to the beach or mall or bar or concert every weekend. I'm perfectly happy staying home, with some good food, and reading a book or watching TV or playing computer games. It recharges my batteries and prepares me for the week ahead. In fact, weeks when I'm away from home actually drain me and after 2 or more weeks of such activity will tax my temper and make me a bear to be around.

That said, I was looking forward to going to a convention this October. Its called Blizzcon and is essentially a gaming convention of people who enjoy playng Blizzard's games like World of Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo. All 3 of which I do enjoy. To my great disappointment, all 12,000 tickets were sold out in less than 20 mins, not to mention the horrible site crashes that the website encountered due to this high activity which had folks like me constantly checking the site over 2 days. I was not able to get a ticket.

So as I mope about and lament my misfortune, I think that perhaps its time to plan a visit to New York or Vegas, 2 places that I love to visit.

PS. If you're read this far, I did say that this was a random rant. Just an insight into my life and my way of blowing some steam after spending 48 hours trying to get tickets to Blizzcon and that ended in disappointment.

Blogs I Frequent