« Home | Star Wars Personality Test » | A good and bad thing » | Happy Easter! » | Foods I Miss » | The things Kids do » | Hairspray » | Doctor Who Gets Fourth Season » | Grease You're the one that I want » | I SO AGREE! ... almost » | Dresden Files Review »

Lord of the Rings Online - My Opinion


I have never had so much problems writing a review for a game. Lord of the Rings Online (LotRO) is an MMORPG. This means you need an internet connection to play this game. The obvious comparison for this game is World of Warcraft. So how does it measure up? Is it the game that will dethrone World of Warcraft? If you're a gamer then you're probably already read dozens of reviews for LotRO. Mine isn't going to be anthing different or special. Just my opinions on the game. I truly know that this game will not be as popular as World of Warcraft. But here comes the hard part, trying to explain why. I originally tried to do a comparison based on Graphics /Sound /Gameplay /Combat etc but that failed.


Here's the thing about LotRO, if you've seen screen shots of the game and you prefer these kinds of graphics to the more cartoonish style of World of Warcraft, I would recommend getting the game. But if you're neutral to it then don't get it. I don't think LotRO brings anything new to the MMORPG genre. The mark of a great game is when I start it up, it can pull me into the game and I lose hours upon hours playing. LotRO was not able to do this for me. I started the game, played a little and ... really didn't care too much about going back in. What makes it so difficult to review is that if you do a point by point comparison, they have met all the technical requirements for a good MMORPG. But as a gamer, it seems to lack that X factor that makes me want to play.

Having the LotR's franchise behind it will gain this game some subscribers. Being a pretty stable and good game will also get more subscribers. But LotRO will not dethrone WOW, it lacks that X factor that make it great and it won't appeal to everyone. IMO this game is a miss.

Official Site

Blogs I Frequent