« Home | DVD Review: The History Boys » | TV shows Online - plus a rant » | KyleXY - Season 2 » | Gaming News: Starcraft 2 Trailler » | DVD Review: The Lost Room » | Asian Fruit » | Tongue Stew » | Happy Mothers Day » | Bad Subtitles » | Shii's Song »

Colcannon


I decided to go a little Irish today. I love meat and potatoes sometimes make it more as a comfort food. Not too often because... well its probably not the best thing in the world for me. I watch a lot of cooking shows and Colcannon struck my fancy. Its very close to the meat and potatoes dish I make but they add cabbage and use ham. So I decided to give it a try.

Here's the recipe I used.

3 pounds potatoes, scrubbed
2 sticks butter
1 1/4 cups hot milk
Freshly ground black pepper
1 head cabbage, cored and finely shredded
1 (1-pound) piece ham or bacon, cooked the day before
4 scallions, finely chopped
Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish

Of course I substituted somewhat. Used only 3/4 stick of unsalted butter, only 1/4 of 2% milk and instead of ham, I used ground turkey stir fried with onions.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the dish. I love meat and potatoes. Adding the cabbage isn't hard and it lends something to the dish. Making it more refreshing if that makes any sense. A more substantial dish.

Things I would do different the next time. I would have more potatoes. I don't think I have the right proportions. My dish was heavy on the cabbage and meat but a little lighter on potatoes than I would like. Also I'd cook the cabbage till it was a little softer. This might be personal preference but I prefer my cabbage to not have any crunch to it.

Overall I enjoyed this dish. Below is a picture of Colcannon on Food Network. Fairly close to my dish I'd say. What do you think?

Blogs I Frequent