« Home | Baby, It's Cold Outside » | Musical Interlude » | Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles » | Consequences of reading the Straits Times » | Day 9 of 365 » | Mass Effect Ending » | Happy New Year 2008 » | Improv Shrimp Curry » | A death on Christmas » | Merry Christmas 2007!!! »

Alvin's Peanut Soup

I saw a recipe for Peanut soup on Straight from the Farm, and was instantly enchanted. I've never tried using peanut butter in a soup or in actual cooking so I was very interested in trying this out.

You can check out the recipe for GEORGIA PEANUT SOUP here, but this is my variation:

3 T. Olive oil
1/2 large onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. red chilli flakes
2 red bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 1/2 c. minced carrots
1 cauliflower, roughly chopped
1 cup mushrooms
1 cup raw peanuts
2-3 cups cooked ham
1/4 Cabbage, roughly chopped
3-5 cups chicken stock
6 T. chunky peanut butter (I used Smucker's Natural with no sugar added)
salt and garlic power for seasoning
roughly chopped roasted peanuts to garnish

Heat oil in a large soup pot. Once hot, add onion and garlic and cook for three minutes. Add the mushrooms, peanuts, ham and cook for another three minutes.

Add the all the remaining vegetables and cook for about 8 minutes till the veggies are starting to sweat, stirring occasionally. Season lightly with a little salt and pepper.

Add the chicken stock, peanut butter, stirring until thoroughly combined and cook till boiling. (I added enough stock to just cover the top of all the veggies, adding water if stock was insufficient.)


So what's my verdict? I like it. Exactly what vegetables you use is up to you but you'll want to avoid the more leafy greens of course. Potatoes and corn as mentioned in the original would be excellent, peas too I think. I'm very glad that I used the no sugar added peanut butter, this way you see, smell and taste the real peanut without all the sugar overpowering the vegetable taste.

I also think that adding raw peanuts to the soup is very important for taste and texture. Chunky peanut butter is good but nothing beats biting into a real peanut. And of course adding ham or chicken to the soup for those of us non vegetarians is a huge added bonus.

I'm pleasantly surprised by this recipe. Definitely one that I'll make again, its healthy low fat and filled with veggies. In the words of Martha Stewart: Peanut Soup, its a good thing.

Labels: ,

Hi, Alvin! Jennie from Straight from the Farm here. :) So glad you took my peanut soup and adapted it to your liking...love the idea of adding the ham for the meat-eaters out there. Good job! Looks delicious! :)

Thanks so much for the recipe Jenn. Its just thing thing for a cold weekend.

Post a Comment

Blogs I Frequent