« Home | My S'pore Trip - Day 7 - 8 » | My S'pore Trip - Day 5 - 6 » | My S'pore Trip - Day 3 - 4 » | My Spore Trip - Day 1 - 2 » | The Day before I leave » | Last Photos of 2008 - Food » | New Year Dinner » | Star Sightings » | Christmas Dinner » | Merry Christmas 2008 »

My S'pore Trip - Day 9 - 10

On Friday, I met up with a long time army buddy, Ivan who also has his own food blog. He took me to a japanese BBQ restaurant near United Square Mall, the name of the restaurant escapes me though.

The buffet is actually quite excellent. Order from a huge menu of items, everything is delivered to your table raw and they will place charcoal in the center of your table. Everything else is self cooked.

Its an excellent way to pass several hours and just sit and chat. Oh and That's a picture of Ivan at the end. If you see his blog and wonder why his pictures look so good, its partly experience and partly the equipment he's carrying. My camera's about 1/4 the size of his. :)







When I got home at about 1+am, I found desert waiting for me. The folks had bought Durian.



Saturday Morning, the folks and I went to Whampoa Market. My mom looks the curry rice there and as you can see there's a long queue for the store. We were there for about 45 mins and the line never went below 15-20 people. It was a constant queue. And as for an idea of how well the store is doing, its closed on Sundays and Monday.

I do have to admit this was totally worth the wait in queue. Everything you see in this photo is about $19 only and its was excellent, there's a unique taste and consistency to the curry that's simply drool worthy and I've not had pork chops like this in a very very long time. Every single dish was good. I'd say this store is raking in the cash and they deserve it.



Lunch on Saturday was home cooked fried Kuay Teow. Our family cooks it with lots of fishball and veggies, and we use the Noodles that's used in Quay Chap, so its more tender. Garnished with strips of fried egg.

Its a nostalgia thing. I grew up eating this on weekends and it just hit the spot.




Saturday's dinner was a bigger affair with my sister's family included. So its me, the folks, the sister, her husband and the 2 rug rats.

We went to Koon Kee. Don't ask me where it is. I get lost the minute I step out of the house. The restaurant is quite unique. It actually has a theme, everything on the walls are from the 50's and 60's. There's even one of those huge old fashioned fridges which holds the drinks displayed.


We ordered the Sambal Kang Kong. This one dish knocked my socks off. It was phenomenal and the Sambal is very spicy. Excellent dish.

Hee Pow Soup (Fish Maw Soup) - can't complain much about this one. It was decent.

Thai fish Cakes next. I liked this one too. It was crispy on the outside and excellent and soft and chewy on the inside and went so well with rice. My only complaint was that I would have liked the Thai sweet sauce as an accompaniment.

The token green dish.

I agree with my sister on this. we had the option of a fried red wine chicken or Ha Cheong Kai (chicken fried with shrimp paste). We went with the fried red wine chicken, and it was decent but nothing to write home about. I think the Ha Cheong Kai would have been a better choice.

Finally, sharks fin with eggs. This was a very tasty dish.




And for desert, we got 3 Durians.

Blogs I Frequent