« Home | My S'pore Trip - Day 21 » | My S'pore Trip - Day 19 - New Years Day » | My S'pore Trip - Day 18 » | My S'pore Trip - Day 17 » | My S'pore Trip - Day 16 » | My S'pore Trip - Day 14 - 15 » | My S'pore Trip - Snacks » | My S'pore Trip - Day 13 » | My S'pore Trip - Day 11 - 12 » | My S'pore Trip - Day 9 - 10 »

My S'pore Trip - Day 22

This morning for the 4th day of the New Year and the last day of my holiday, we drove to Whampoa Market yet again, but this time the curry store was open for breakfast.

This whole feast only cost $16 for the 3 of us.



After breakfast we had to rush home as we were expecting guests for lunch.
I won't list everything but I will say that the Satay Chicken (fried this time), the Chilli Prawns, and the Pong Tau Hu, were exceptional.

And for desert, we had Pulot Hitam (Black rice) with coconut milk. It was not a fave of mine, and my mom cooked it salty but I prefer mine sweet, after all it is a desert.
You might not be able to see it, but the dishes and spoons for the Pulot Hitam are the antique Nonya dishes passed down from my grandmother's mother. Mom really pulled out all the stops.



Dinner was a special affair. Not only is it my last night in Singapore, but we're also celebrating my Dad's birthday which is less than a week away.

My sister suggested Straits Kitchen at the Grand Hyatt Singapore, and it turned out to be a fabulous choice. It might be on the pricy side, but the theme was upper class hawker food and it was excellent!!!

Here are some shots of the various food stations (its a buffet) before I was told no photos allowed.




And here's what I had. I started off with Chicken rice, both steamed and roasted, it was soooo good.

Poh Piah which I shared with my Mom

Satay. I know I had satay at the family reunion BBQ but professionally cooked satay beats irregular heat cooked satay any day.

An assortment of items, the fish with blachan was damn good.

This round I had Ayam Bua Kulek which was good, and a side of soy sauce chicken.

For desert, it was almond jelly and logang with a variety of nonya cakes.

My niece also got Ice Kachang.

There were some tears at the start of the meal, but by the time everyone was on their first course, the water works had stopped.

And finally the family portrait. (29 Jan 2009)

Blogs I Frequent