« Home | DVD Review - Drawn Together Season 1 » | DVD Review - The Vicar of Dibley » | Making Cheap Steaks Prime » | 2007 Fall Lineup - Part 2 » | Dancing with the Stars - 2007 » | 2007 Fall TV Shows - Part 1 » | Impressions of Tabula Rasa Beta » | Mid-Autumn Festival » | My Saturday 23/09/2007 » | Ask a Ninja »

Rowling Outs the Headmaster of Hogwarts


Wow! J. K. Rowlings while on a book tour just dropped this bomb. (Source: MTV, AP)
Rowling told the audience that Hogwarts headmaster Albus Dumbledore was gay and had fallen in love with fellow wizard and erstwhile friend, Gellert Grindelwald, according to the Associated Press and Potter fan site the Leaky Caudron. The crowd cheered, leading Rowling to say:

"If I had known this would have made you this happy, I would have told you years ago."

The answer came in response to the question of whether Dumbledore had ever been in love. Rowling replied, "My truthful answer to you ... I always thought of Dumbledore as gay. ... Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald, and that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was. To an extent, do we say it excused Dumbledore a little more? Because falling in love can blind us to an extent, but he met someone as brilliant as he was, and rather like Bellatrix he was very drawn to this brilliant person, and horribly, terribly let down by him. Yeah, that's how I always saw Dumbledore.

"In fact, recently I was in a script read-through for the sixth film, and they had Dumbledore saying a line to Harry early in the script, saying, 'I knew a girl once, whose hair ...' [the crowd laughed]. I had to write a little note in the margin and slide it along to the scriptwriter: 'Dumbledore's gay!' "

Noting the audience's enthusiasm, she added, "I had to give you something to talk about for the next 10 years. ... Just imagine the fan fiction now."

The fact is that there's no real reason this should be headline news, after all she's finish all 7 books and ended the series. But it does prove 1 thing. That our current world is wayyy too obsessed with popular fiction/culture.

Still I do thank Rowlings for her contribution to gay rights by reinforcing the idea that a person's gayness is not something of which they should be ashamed. And she's also earned herself very strong loyalty from this faithful reader.

Labels:

Blogs I Frequent